Respectful Relationships Education
Information for schools
How do schools participate in the program?
Starick works with the Department of Education to identify schools that want to participate in the program. Participation in the program is voluntary and each school provides an Expression of Interest to show their interest. Schools that participate in the program are supported by Starick to develop an approach to Respectful Relationships Education (RRE) that suits their school's needs and environment. This includes support to develop plans to embed a whole-of-school approach that is relevant and sustainable.
Since 2019, Starick has worked with 47 public schools grouped into five cohorts.
What our schools have achieved
The following real examples show what some schools have achieved as a result of engaging with the Starick RRE program.
Teaching and Learning:
- Creating Coded Zones of Regulation, Respectful Relationships, and PBS to the Curriculum Guidelines.
- Producing positive behaviour videos with concrete examples of how to model respect in the school context.
- Hosting a Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE) Project Sessions with Year 7 – 12 students using teaching resources from the Growing and Developing Healthy Relationships (GDHR) website.
- Hosting RSE Project Sessions with Year 6 students to empower students transitioning to high school.
- Engaging in the Tomorrow Man/Tomorrow Woman Program once a term every term for three years.
Policy and Practice:
- Developing a respectful relationships education policy and a respectful relationships statement.
- Updating the school's Care and Support Policy, which includes a Respectful Relationships and Sexual Education Policy.
School Culture and Environment:
- Instituting school-wide behaviour expectations and agreements that were upheld by the school’s PBS incentive scheme.
- Designing a respect mural with students.
- Building a "Respect Wall", highlighting what respect looks like. This was a student engaging activity.
- Introducing LGBTQI+ accommodations, including gender neutral uniform and toilets.
- Engaging parents and caregivers early by sending an introduction letter informing them of their involvement in the program with an invitation for comments.
- Ensuring that all teaching and learning around respectful relationships was communicated via the school’s fortnightly chronicle. School partners included SDERA, the community health nurse, community police, Holyoake, Narrogin Rainbow Women’s Centre.
- Engaging in NAIDOC Week planning with Aboriginal Elders and organisations.
Support for staff and students:
- Ensuring that students affected by FDV receive individualised case management. This everyday assistance was framed through Culture & Environment and Teaching & Learning Domains.
- One school's teaching staff completed Domestic Violence and Complex Trauma training.
Schools participating in the WARRTSP are supported via the following components:
- Info Session
- Workshop 1
- Post-workshop Visit
- Workshop 2
- Post-workshop Visit
Tailored support is also provided throughout this period to meet the needs of individual schools.
- Ballajura Community College
- Belridge Secondary College
- John Butler Primary College
- Currambine Primary School
- Koorana Primary School
- Maida Vale Primary School
- Pinjarra Primary School
- Safety Bay Senior High School
- Swan View Senior High School
- Wirrabirra Primary School
- Boyanup Primary School
- Braeside Primary School
- Northam Primary School
- Northam Senior High School
- Rostrata Primary School
- Yanchep Secondary College
- Bramfield Park Primary School
- Butler College
- Charthouse Primary School
- Connolly Primary School
- Eaton Community College
- Joondalup Education Support Centre
- Kinross College
- Kinross Primary School
- Lancelin Primary School
- Southern River College
- Yanchep Beach Primary School
- Bayswater Primary School
- Carnarvon Community College
- Esperance Senior High School
- Governor Stirling Senior High School - Midland
- Hedland Senior High School
- Kalgoorlie Boulder Community High School
- Karratha Senior High School
- Malibu School - Safety Bay
- Norseman District High School
- Ravensthorpe District High School
- WA College of Agriculture/Narrogin
- Atwell College
- Baldivis Secondary College
- Bertram Primary School
- Brookman Primary School
- Broome Senior High School
- Butler Primary School
- Calista Primary School
- Cannington Community Education Support Centre
- Lynwood Senior High School
- Mullewa District High School
- Newman Senior High School
- Pia Wadjarri Remote Community School
- Roebourne District High School
- Sevenoaks Senior College
- Success Primary School
- South Thornlie Primary School
- Thornlie Senior High School
- Woodland Grove Primary School
- Yale Primary School